Leather Handle Bill Hook
- Length : 17" (440mm) Approx.
- 300mm curved blade
- Blackened finish on blade for corrosion resistance
- Leather Handle for added comfort
- Handle 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" Diamenter Approx
- Metal pommel attached at base to protect your hand
- Weight 660 grams
- Left or right hand use
- Please note that this knife is not for sale to people under the age of 18. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 18 years of age or older. This item must be used responsibly and appropriately
Billhooks are almost universally made from ordinary steel of a moderate carbon content. High-carbon steel is not often used since an extremely sharp and hard edge is not necessary, and a slightly lower carbon content makes the hook easier to sharpen in the field. Hygiene and cosmetic appearance are unimportant so more expensive stainless steel is not used.
Billhooks have a relatively thick blade since they are typically used for cutting thick and woody vegetation. The nose is sometimes also thickened to bring the sweet spot further forward and to optimise the chopping action. The edge of a billhook is not bevelled to a very narrow angle to avoid binding in green wood.
The hooked front of the blade makes it easier to catch small branches when stripping them off larger branches and also makes chopping against a rounded object (such as a tree trunk) more effective